In return for receiving access to the information contained in this document from us, the reader acknowledges and agrees to the following:
1. We are a group of broadly experienced engineering volunteers working on this crisis emergency. While we are working closely with multiple front-line physicians, our engineering team is not specifically trained in infectious disease control.
2. Our role is limited to advancing the distribution of potentially helpful designs, tutorials, and information, compiled and disseminated from a range of sources, without being able to fully evaluate the efficacy or safety of all such content.
3. You release and agree not to sue us or people working with us on disseminating the information in this document, from all present and future claims that may be made by you, your family, estate, heirs, or assigns for property damage, personal injury, or wrongful death arising out of or in connection with your participation in any way with the activities suggested by this document.
This is the Materials List for the Open-Mask Model A PAPR blower.
A note about the fasteners: to keep parts count and costs down, all but two of the fasteners are the same length. If you have the budget you may want to use more appropriate fasteners. Part numbers are given for both Metric and Imperial for your convenience – you don’t need to purchase both.
Note: All Open-Mask.org devices are rapid emergency Prototypes that are not FDA approved
3D Printable Parts
|Air box mount.
Note: You’ll need to print two of these.
|Open Mask Nozzle||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Top Right||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Top Left||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Side Left||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Front||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Back Right||STL
|Optional Drill Template – Back Left||STL
Cutting and Drilling Drawings
|8||M4 x 0.70 mm Thread, 16mm Long Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Drive Screws||McMaster|
|2||M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 16 mm Long Stainless Steel Hex Drive Flat Head Screws||McMaster|
|10||M4 x 0.7 mm Thread Stainless Steel Nylon-Insert Locknuts||McMaster|
|10||M4 Stainless Steel Washer||McMaster|
|8||8-32 Thread Size, 3/4″ Long Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Drive Screws||McMaster|
|2||8-32 Thread Size, 5/8″ Long Stainless Steel Hex Drive Flat Head Screw||McMaster|
|10||8-32 Thread Size Stainless Steel Nylon-Insert Locknut||McMaster|
|10||Number 8 Screw Size Stainless Steel Washer||McMaster|
|1||Blower – CUI Devices CBM-979533B-168||Digikey, Mouser, onlinecomponents|
|1||Talentcell Rechargeable 6000mAh Li-Ion Battery Pack||Amazon|
|2||2.1mm Female Right-Angle DC Power Plugs
Note: You’ll need two of these.
Note: Other options include: This or this
|1||DC Power Jack Male 2.1mm x 5.5mm Panel Mount
Note: Other options include: This
|1||3a 12v Motor/Fan speed controller. The one we use measures 32mm x 50mm||Banggood|
|1||Hammond Manufacturing PR-1375||Digilink, Mouser|
|1||Belt – 2″ nylon or web belt available at many places.
Note: Be aware that there’s not much room between the PAPR and the belt loop.
|here, here, here, here, here, here, here|
|1||HEPA Filter – 86889
Caution: Many cheap filters use fiberglass strands to filter the air. Kenmore claims their filters are fiberglass free but we have not been able to confirm. UPDATE: Kenmore rep confirms their filters are fiberglass free.
|1||Silicone Caulk – Gasket Maker Sealer||McMaster|
|3ft||Blo-R-Vac Very Flexible Duct Hose for Fumes – Clear PVC, 1-1/4″ ID, 1-1/2″ OD||McMaster|
|2ft||Food-Grade Super-Cushioning Foam Sheet Polyethylene, 54″ Wide, 1/8″ Thickness||McMaster|
|4||Cable Zip Ties at least 100mm (4″) long.||McMaster, Amazon, Cable Ties and More|
- 3D Printer
- Drill and Drill Bits – Metric 4.5mm or Imperial 11/64″
- Screw Driver
- Hex Keys
- Soldering Iron and Solder
- Heat Shrink
- 22 AWG wire. 120mm (5″) red and black.